When prepping my Windows 2008 R2 machines for SharePoint 2010, I use McAfee Virus Scan 8.7i for virus protection. Halfway through the install, I always get a error that pops stating:
Error 1920.Service McAfeeFramework (McAfeeFramework) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services.
According to this McAfee KB article, when you see the error, leave it there because you need to make some registry adjustments.
Here’s the steps as taken from the KB article:
- Start the VirusScan Enterprise 8.7i installation locally.
- During installation, wait for the 1920 error to occur.
IMPORTANT: Do not dismiss the 1920 error dialog box.
- Click Start, Run, type regedit, and click OK.
- Navigate to and expand the following key:
- In the left pane, scroll down and select the sub-key: mfeapfk.
- In the right pane, right-click ImagePath and select Modify.
- In the Value Data field, modify the contents to state the full path.
Modify ImagePath to include:
- Repeat the previous steps for the following two McAfee keys.
IMPORTANT: Do not make this change for any other McAfee drivers:
- Close the registry editor.
- Dismiss the error and reattempt the installation.